Thursday 7 June 2007

How it all started . . .





Quite by chance in fact. It just happened I was on my way out to look a shiny new cabin cruiser with my mate Nick - and I had to go past Royal Cape Yacht Club in Cape Town harbour - where I also knew there was this little Flamenca for sale. I believe all boats are good - even motorboats - but something made me duck off to see this little yacht. In fact I would have bought a yacht - any yacht - years ago if I could have afforded one. And this one was for sale at what seemed like a bargain price of R40k (about 5k USD) at the time . . . Although I had had many dinghies and open boats until then - I always dreamed of a boat with a cabin on - a bunk, and a cooker for some reason - where one could spend some time. And I liked sailing of course.



The little boat seemed fine. Not too complicated, not too big, and nothing too complicated to fix. It had a seaworthy certificate and could be sailed just as it was . . . . People said these little boats (Flamencas) were extremely seaworthy and good mannered - if a bit slow. Traditional looking and moderate in every sense - she just looked right.



I was tempted to take it away right there - but thought it prudent to do the test sail thing and all. So a few days later the broker (thats Carl of www.legacyyachtsales.co.za - a good guy) arranged a test sale for me. The owner came around and we (myself, my mate Nick, the broker, and the owner) went on a jolly little sail around Cape Town harbour. All amongst the big container ships, with the VHF Radio bleating out all kinds of stuff from Port Control. Jolly exciting it was at the time. And we headed out of the mouth of the harbour into the actual sea for good measure too. Wah!



With the engine off the little boat just moved along so easily and quietly. She was really easy to sail, compared to a dinghy. I could get used to this I thought . . .



That was on a Wednesday. On Thursday morning I paid the money, and on Friday I had the papers. It all happened quite quickly. Now I wanted to get her to my home port of Hout Bay as soon as possible . . .